.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Xavier's Security Post
Friday, November 11, 2005
  OSVDB
for the last few days I've been data mangling vulnerabilities for the Open Source Vulnerability Database. and I must say, although now I have the hang of it -- at first it was a bit stressing -- simply because you don't want to be the person to really mess up on an advisory post.

on one of the first vulnerabilities I mangled. the discloser sent an email to Full Disclosure with a theoretical vulnerability -- as if he knew the flaw in question could be exploited, but he didn't make mention of specific details.

when I received the vulnerability in my queue, I could tell there were a few problems just by reading the original 'advisory'. so, I researched the bug on my own and found four seperate variables that allowed for XSS injection.

I also found more XSS bugs in other parts of the application, which I didn't add because it had nothing to do with his advisory.

the point is, it's not as easy as it looks. and the people involved in the project are actually pretty cool, and put a lot of time into it. much props to Jericho and the rest of the moderators/data manglers.

so, which was the first vulnerability that popped my cherry? well, here it is: HP-UX envd Unspecified Local Privilege Escalation

I have some advisories coming up this week, so be on the look out!
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
This public blog will be a place for me to output any Security findings, both technological and physical, that I have come about. I will post Security advisories I was apart of, and also other interesting bits of knowledge. email: xavier [at] tigerteam.se

RECENT RELEASES
Rocks Clusters <=4.1 mount-loop local root
Rocks Clusters <=4.1 umount-loop local root
TSEAD-200606-6 - Rocks Clusters <=4.1 local root
xorgmodroot.py - Xorg-server 1.0 / <=X11R6.9.0-7.0 local root
TSEAD-200509-5 - Multiple Netscape.com vulnerabilities.
TSEAD-200512-3 - Multiple vulnerabilities in KISBG <=v5.1.1
fsigk_exp.py - FSIGK for Linux <=2.10-431 local root
TSEAD-200510-4 - FSIGK for Linux <=2.10-431 advisory
ritk.php - remote inclusion pentest tool
owm_exp.py - openwebmail <=2.51+ local root
perliodebug_exp.py - perlIO_debug 5.8.* local root
bankfix.py - bank card number lookup tool
TSEAD-200412-2 - AOL XSS/file read vuln
TSEAD-200412-1 - AOL redir vuln

ARCHIVES
September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 /